Monday, November 24, 2008

Stuff(ing)

Turkey Day is coming up and the temperature is going down. We purchased our Hutterite turkey and we will be sharing it with some friends up at the Big Sky condo. Big Sky is also supposed to open the day after Thanksgiving. Our Frequent Skier cards give us free skiing for that weekend so we may venture out on the slopes. I am sure there will be only a couple of runs open.

For the first time in my adult life I took some of my money and bought food for people who are less fortunate. Jenny and I bought two turkeys and two complete meals and dropped it off at the Gallatin County Food Shelf. I read in the paper that the food shelf has seen a 30% rise in use in the past 6 months. When we stopped by I was impressed by the size of the operation. Two huge warehouses stacked with huge bins of food. It was also depressing to know that all that food wasn't enough to meet the forecasted demand for the next few months. The past few months have brought a lot of change for Jenny and I and the economy has meant that we have dramatically changed our lifestyle. Though we are secure and safe it has made me realize just how easy it is to go from flush to broke. The older I get the more it's sinking in that there are so many people out there working their asses off for very little income. I feel that since I am doing OK then I have a responsibility to share some of my luck with people less fortunate.

Hope all of you are doing well during the Turkey season and I wish you all the best for your friends, familys and jobs!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Troy,
Did you make reservations at the condo?

ha ha