Sunday, March 18, 2007

Wind in my face.....

No matter where I ride or who I ride with the wind always seems to be coming at me. People always complained about the same thing back in MN and now I have brought the issue to Montana.

The difference yesterday was that I was doing my first 100 mile ride of the season. Yellowstone National Park allows only cyclists and hikers to use the park for a whole month before opening it to cars. I had the entire park to myself for the whole ride. I think 10 park service trucks passed me and only a few other cyclsits. 7 hours on the bike whithout any worries was awesome.


Stats:
100.9 miles

3,800 ft climbing

15.5 mph average

5 hrs of headwind

127 average heart rate

Two close encounters with Bison and Elk

100's of piles of poo dodged

1 large coke, 1 Big Mac, 10pc McNugget (right after ride)

1 huge Chicken and Pear salad, 1 double Baileys on the rocks

1 grilled cheese sandwich


The ride was great and I will be back there for another go next weekend. Let's hope the wind dies down.


Ryan and Duncan were kind enough to let me stay at their place on Hebgen Lake so I only had a short drive to Yellowstone in the morning. Duncan is learning to play the guitar and made huge strides by mastering two chords on Friday night.


Training is going well. 19 hours on the bike this past week. While I told you all about the LOW land speed records of last week, this week was a different story. Wednesday night was interval training and Ryan and I had a tail wind going UP Bridger Canyon. We were hitting 35 and 36 mph uphill on the lower roads. I don't think I will ever see that sort of sustained uphill speed ever again. In fact, Ryan was pulling so hard at one point that blood came pouring out of my nose and we had to pull over. That guy can haul a**. Total of two hours over Level 1. Recovery times are starting to shorten and base riding is getting faster. Racing starts April 15; one month from now.


Until next time........


















































3 comments:

Notorious B.I.L. said...

Great pics!! I am glad to hear that you are eating right! BIG MAC, what the F***. You have to fit into your wedding dress in a few months!

Troy Scherer said...

Damn right Big Mac!! And 10pc Chicken nuggets. After that ride I didn't care what was going down.

Anonymous said...

nice pic of the bison tongue... and now I know why ryan loves your blog so much... does he pay you to write all this B.S. about him??