Sunday, March 11, 2007

Land speed records...........

Records dropped this week as Ryan fielded several comments and inquiries about his unusually slow pace during the rides this past week. I found out that no one has actually ever seen him ride below 18mph. So here's to Ryan for setting a new personal LOW land speed record on his bike.

The reason for this momentous occassion is that I have actually convinced him (for the time being) that training slow now can be beneficial in the long run. He's finally given in to my BS and at least humored me by riding with me for three days in a row at extremely slow speeds. I know that it works and I hope that it helps him out as well. I know he's already thinking about when the hotshot MSU boys come out to play at the Tuesday night races in the spring.....

Put in some really good miles this week and my body is responding very well. I was out for 5 hours today (which makes 15 hours for the week) and felt great until the end. Put in some one minute sprints that had my lungs looking for an exit from my body. As the announcer at the NVGP said during my time trial finish "MOUTH OPEN LIKE A HOOVER VACUUM!!!!!!!" The rides are exactly what I need as I am putting in day after day of 4 to 5 hour rides and feeling great every day. Avg. heart rate: 120 to 125.

I met with Seifert a couple of weeks ago and had performance testing done. The bad news is that I have a lot of work to do. The good news is that my seasons goals don't start until the middle of July. I hope to be in the Cloud for the omnium in July and then the State Champs in August. Then it's all about the Granny Grinder race up the Beartooth Pass in early September. Then it's time for cyclocross. I will be racing all year long on Tuesday nights which will make up my speed work and maybe toss in a couple of montana state races just so I can remember what it's like to be dropped by Andy Shultz in the middle of thousands of acres of blowing wheat fields in 90F weather.....awesome.

Now that daylight savings time has arrived and 50F weather is here the miles are going to start stacking up on the old bicicleta. If anyone is looking for a Colnago C50 they should call me...I may have something on the way from a local Bozeman bike builder.....

Don't know if anyone has had the opportunity to ride a Surly Pugsley, but that thing should be on the top of any bike list. Ben and I hit the streets of downtown Minneapolis in 12+ inches of snow and they handled beautifully. Next day was some downhill work at Hidden Falls park and the bikes handled drifts with no problems. The bikes even gave Mulv the confidence to try out a snowy downhill run.

Hope all is well with friends and fam..... Granny Fran is recovering well after receiving a pacemaker last friday. 93 (i think) and still ticking.... not too shabby. Love you Grandma...

Until next time..........

No comments: