Thursday, June 15, 2006

NVGP Day Two: What the H*ll am I doing?

Wow. Pros ride fast.

The race started off "neutral" with a 28 mph role out then we attacked the course like we were trying to outrun a jet plane. I have never had my heart rate so high for so long. I hid my watch from view and decided that I was going to do this race as hard as I could, sans info.

The race blew apart around mile 14 when the peleton hit a hill right before a 2mi. dirt road section. HealthNet was at the front and just drilled the pace. Well over 30mph on the flats and 27+ on the hills. Just before the dirt I yo-yoed off the group and ended up in a chase group that was chasing a chase group that was chasing the mutants called HealthNet-Maxxis. These chase groups then began to splinter and I ended up doing a couple of solo moves to link up with small groups. I ended up finishing with a team mate and 5 other guys about 15 mins down from the winner. It is 10:30pm and I don't yet know if I am cut from the race; Most likely yes.

I have to say this was the hardest and most painful race I have ever done. It was an eye opener to see and experience the pace of a real pro race.

If I make into the race tomorrow I will be psyched but if I don't I still have two races to look forward to in Mankato and Stillwater.


My personal bodyguard (my brother) keeping the
paparazzi away.

















The race hasn't even started and I am checking my heart rate.


Trying to maintain on the hills.

No comments: